Frequently Asked Questions

I was appointed an attorney at JAC. What next?

Give us a call and ask to set up an appointment to speak with your attorney. Call 360-385-5613.

I was charged with a crime. Now what?

The court will send you a hearing date in the mail, or your issued citation will have a hearing date on it. Be sure to show up to court on the date provided (or Zoom in). In the meantime, fill out an application for a public defender. Or if you have one already, give them a call.

What is an arraignment? Do I need an attorney?

An arraignment is a hearing where the court formally charges you with a crime. You will be assigned an attorney at the arraignment if you don’t already have one.

The Judge granted me a civil standby. What’s that?

A civil standby is completed when a person who is the respondent in a no-contact order wishes to remove basic items from a residence where he or she is not permitted to be by a court order. To arrange the civil standby, contact the Jefferson County Sheriff Civil Division by calling 360-385-9390. Do not contact the protected party or go to the residence without a deputy.

I was arrested for DUI and now my license is suspended. What’s going on?

The DOL automatically suspends your license when you get arrested for a DUI. You must request a hearing with the DOL within 7 days if you want to appeal your suspension, by filling out this form.

How and where do I get an Ignition Interlock Device?

You can get an Ignition Interlock Device installed by Smart Start. To find the nearest Smart Start installation location, click here. (Note that the Ding Doctor in Port Hadlock is no longer offering IID installation.)

For more information about IID’s, visit the Washington State Patrol website.

How do I find out what’s suspending my license?

The state’s Department of Licensing (DOL) has that information. Set up a License Express account to view your license status, reinstate your license, renew your license, and more.

Can I rescind a no contact order?

Yes, if you are the protected party. For a District Court case, complete this form and return to District Court with a self-addressed stamped envelope, a safety plan obtained from a domestic violence advocate, and a copy of your police report. The completed form will be given to the Judge for review.

For a Superior Court case, complete this form and return to Superior Court with a self-addressed stamped envelope. The completed form will be given to the Judge for review.

%d bloggers like this: